SAE life span and SAEs in Stockholm, Sweden

> From: underwod at ccmail_orst.edu (Doug Underwood)
> Subject: Tank spawned/raised SAEs

>      tank with 200+ tank-raised SAEs in it. I have traded about 300 more
>      for other fish, plants, etc.

Already 500 babies!  Impressive!

>         A side question. Does anyone have an idea of the life span ( time
>      length ) of an SAE? All my losses of adults has been to jumping.

I have asked this at my aquarium club meeting (naturally, most of the
club members have or have had real SAEs) and the consensus was that
they can easily live over 10 years.  The average life span might be
about 10 years if you can prevent them from jumping (which was the
most common reason for SAE deaths at my club).

I have now had my old SAEs for 6.5 years, and they were about 1 year
old when I bought them (at least I guess so from their size).  One of
them is still happy, but the bigger one is showing perhaps symptoms
of old age and has been very "tired" for few months.

SAEs in Stockholm:

2 weeks ago spent a day in Stockholm and visited 3 aquarium shops
(Lagret, Mammut Zoo and Globfisk) and looked for SAEs.

1st shop:  was trying to sell false saes as real ones.  Had some real
	SAEs in a show tank anyway (probably not for sale.)

2nd shop: was trying to sell false saes as real ones too.

3rd shop: was trying to sell a false s. as "kalopterus" (flying fox).

So, no real SAEs for sale in three good (?) Swedish shops!  Does any of
the Scandinavian readers know how common this situation is in other
Swedish shops and in Norway and Denmark?  I had thought that Swedes
are able to tell the difference between right and false sae.

(and if anybody is going to Stockholm, ask me the addresses of those
shops.)

Liisa, who bought a trio of Phallichthys amates amates from Sweden