Re: Cu in Microplex

Miles Morrissey <mmorriss at sophia_smith.edu> wrote:

   "I noticed someone mention a few days ago about not using Microplex
as a
    Trace Element Mix because of the high level of Copper.  I am in the
    process of mixing PMDD but I'm now concerned that this copper will
    adversely affect the tank.  Will copper hurt my red ramshorn snails
or
    malaysian trumpet snails??  What concentrations do I have to worry
about?"

I've been using Microplex for 14 months and can say during this time
that the plants have been doing very well, and the many snails don't
seem to mind the copper.  I've not had any outbreaks of ich or other
parasitic disease during this time either which may or not be
attributable to the copper in the Microplex.

A while ago I estimated that based on my addition rate of PMDD made with
Microplex and 25% water changes every 7-10 days that the concentration
of copper in my aquarium (110gal) is about 0.2-0.3 ppm, assuming no
uptake by the plants.  I feel it is important to adhere to the water
change regimen due to the copper and other trace elements in the PMDD as
well as it being good aquarium management practice.

HOpe this gives you some needed information,

Doug Skokna in rainy Houston, Texas.