CO2 Plots and Substrate ????

Hello all,
  First of all I would like to offer my plots of the KH/pH=>CO2
relationship that I plotted from the equations that were posted on the
list.  I find them a little nicer then the tables but they are the same
thing.
These charts can be found on my info page towards the bottom
http://www.voicenet.com/~dietsch/fishinfo.html
Which is part of my fish page
http://www.voicenet.com/~dietsch/fish.html

Now for a few questions:
   I am aware of the benefits of Malaysian Trumpet Snails in the substrate
of a planted tank as in aeration and consumption of organic waste. I have
also heard of the negative impact of some types of snails carrying
parasites and other undesirable critters that can be harmful to the fish.
With that in mind, what about a healthy population of say blood worms or
white worms along with the snails.  So what type of negative side effects
are there allowing a population of blood worms to occupy the substrate of
the tank.   Although, I hear they become flies, and while the cats may
enjoy the perpetual toy, I know my wife will not.  Would they offer similar
benefits as the snails, I am sure they would be a nice food source for the
fish, would they produce to much waste of their own, are they to short
lived to really help and their dead mass to live mass would be bad.  Would
they compete with the snails and cause problems, would they over populate
the bed.  Do they require different water conditions then what is in a
regular planted tank and thus die of.  I remember many years ago when I did
feed live worms to my fish, while they loved them, they would occasionally
miss a few and before I knew it I had a booming population in the gravel.
At that time I didn't even know they were there and if they did present a
problem, I probably wouldn't have even recognized it.  I just got ride of
them.  Now that I can not find any live ones, I was wondering if I should
try it.  These guys that lived in my gravel for a while were red, but
defiantly worms and not larva.
Another substrate question.  I have asked it before, but tried a little
experiment and wanted some input.  Ever heard of green sand,  it is a
naturally occurring substance mined as a terrestrial plant fertilizer.  It
is used as a Potassium and trace element source in land plants, mixed with
other things for the N(blood meal) & P(bone meal).  I was thinking of
adding some to the bottom of the substrate of my next tank.  I ran a little
test on it for kicks.  I heard that it was deposited in the earth many
years ago and had something to do with marine life and sediment, I was
concerned about it leaching bicarbs and thus effecting the pH/KH ( thanks
Neale Monks).  I ran a vinigar test and it passed.  So I added a little to
a cup with water and ran a control and measured the KH of them before and
after a few weeks.  Well to my surprise the KH of the water and sand mix
dropped to al1 but 0 from 70ppm to 10ppm.  Damn just the opposite I would
have expected.   On a related question, my straight water control sample
did something strange also, it's KH increased, from 70 to over 110!  What
tha!?!?!  Now if I was measuring pH I would say, well, may have something
to do with dissolved CO2, but I measured KH.  What gives, why would a water
sample's KH increase just sitting stagnant, it doesn't do that in my heated
holding tank??
Oh yeah, one more if you don't mind.  Substrate again:)  In light of the
Plenum approach of marine tanks, what are anybodies opinions on a plenum in
a plant tank.  Increased circulation???  And no not a UGF:)  Say a
diffusion grid for a Flor. fixture with a screen mesh on top, or UG plates
with a floss or mesh cover.  Just a thought.

Thanks peoples, and I am trimming as fast as I can, the Ludwigia just keep
pushing the lid open.
Jeff
http://www.voicenet.com/~dietsch/