CO2 and algae

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Aqualee555 at aol_com
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 01:05:54 -0500 (EST)
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Subject: CO2 and Algae on glass

Four days ago I installed a yeast CO2 bottle in my 55 gallon planted tank. It
is, I believe making CO2 gas, it foamed up over night, and the plants are
making a lot of oxygen. The PH has dropped slightly, and the fish (angels)
are doing fine. I have 1 adult, and 6 half -grown angels, 1 farlowella, 6
koolie loaches in the tank. the tank is heavily planted with java ferns,
crypts, and a variety of anubias.

the question I have is this, since putting in the CO2, I have seen a rapid
increase in algae on the front glass. I use a single corallife 50/50 bulb,
which is 6 months old, and a magnum 220, and a reverse-flow UG.Is it the the
CO2 that is making the algae grow faster?

Thank you for your input.
Aqualee555