Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #605

<< My guess is that Robert took his canister out of service before his
trickle
 filter went through the nitrogen cycle and that this might have caused the
 outbreak.  I haven't experimented with DIY CO2, but I haven't noticed a
 significant increase in CO2 when I occasionally shut off the trickle filter
 and leave the CO2 system running. >>

I measure my ph with the American Marine Pinpoint ph Monitor, which has an
accuracy of one hundredth of a ph point.  It clearly showed a rise of about
.6 in ph over two or three hours after I turned on my trickle filter.
I suspect that some of the CO2 outgassing could have been caused by the
prefilter box and not the trickle filter itself.  The outside box has a
vortex of water spinning down the tube leading to the trickle filter, and
this probably would drive lots of CO2 out of solution.