Hydrogen Sulphide and algae?

I just did my weekly water change, and a major plant prune because they
were taking over the tank again (g), and I'd promised some cuttings to a
friend.

While pruning willow hygrophila, I disturbed the gravel near my large
Aponogeton and got a whiff of rotten eggs. I dug around in the substrate
and found that the bulb had split and was rotting, so I removed the plant
and all the pieces of the bulb I could find.

What I had noticed earlier was that I had some stubborn green algae on
the front glass, not the usual algae I get in small quantities, and that
there was a little more beard algae than normal (I always have a little,
but it's slowly disappearing now - there wasn't much, just more than I
expected to find given the way the tank and the algae are going).

That brings me to my question. Does anyone know if some sorts of algae
are dependent on, or encouraged by, hydrogen sulphide? Another
possibility would be that some algae might be inhibited by a higher redox
potential, but could get a spurt at times when a lot of decomposition is
going on in the tank and redox levels fall.

Any comments/answers from out there?

David Aiken