Alternanthera sessilis

I would like to successfully grow Alternanthera sessilis - and by
successfully, I mean plants with lots of red leaves and bushy growth, like
in the Dutch Plant Aquarium pictures.  It seems all this plant does in my
tank is lose its leaves and put energy into root growth.  I usually lose
patience with it after a few weeks.  Is this too soon?  Is the trick to
wait until it produces roots and then the leaves will follow?

Tank is 40 gal, soft water, Kent's FW Plant Supplement 1x/week, Hilena D in
gravel, light is 4 30watt fluor. tubes, pH 7.4, no CO2.
Thanks,
Roxanne Bittman
--

Roxanne Bittman, Botanist                    Natural Heritage Division
Phone: (916) 323-8970                 __o     CA Dept of Fish and Game