Re: Molybednum

>Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 10:02:56 -0500
>To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
>From: John <jlob at wpa_net>
>Subject: Molybdenum
>
>Hi,
>
>I found this and was wondering if the same would apply to aquatic plants?
>Would adding extra amoumts of molybdenum help reduce nitrates?  Is
>molybdenum easy to find?
>

>Molybdenum is a structural component of the enzyme that reduces nitrates to
>ammonia. Without it, the synthesis of proteins is blocked and plant growth
>ceases. Root nodule (nitrogen fixing) bacteria also require it. Seeds may
>not form completely, and nitrogen deficiency may occur if plants are lacking
>molybdenum. Deficiency signs are pale green leaves with rolled or cupped
>margins.

Molybedenum is a trace element and examples where the soils are naturally
deficient in it are rare.  I recall reading somewhere that parts of
Australia were deficient enough that imported legumes did not do well,
although the native plants were able to grow normally.  Perhaps nitrogen
fixation requires more than nitrate reduction.  If my memory is correct,
addition of about 1 ounce per acre was all that the imported legumes needed
for normal growth.

the probablility is high that your local water has enough Mo for normal
nitrate reduction. If you want to add some, I would reccomend not exceeding
a level of around 0.1 to 0.5 milligrams of Mo per liter.

It can be obtained as ammomium molybdate from chemical supply companies.

In Jackson, Mississippi, where more rain is on the way.