black sand

And now, for my next question... Several years ago, while digging the
hole for a client's pond, I ran across several veins of heavy, fine,
black sand.  It was in some stabilized sand dunes in Carlsbad, CA.  Of
course, I saved quite a bit of it and am now tripping over its containers
in my greenhouse.  I know that it is full of Fe (it is extremely weighty,
>/= 75 lbs/ cu.ft.)and I guess my question is, does anybody out there feel that there would be any advantage in using it as a substrate, or
substrate additive, for my aquarium plants, or is it just a waste of
time?  It is so fine that I'm certain that it will sift through the
gravel in the aquarium and wind up in a layer on the tank bottom.  Thank
you very much for your help.  D. Curtright.