Re: Carbon & Iron

> >my satisfaction.  At the time, I was sceptical of statements that carbon
> >would remove trace elements, and I also had not seen a theory that would
> >explain how such removal would take place.  The experiential evidence I
> >received in response convinced me that the removal was indeed taking
> >place.  What I would call reliable sources (including K. Randall), told me
> >there was lots of evidence in both the terrestrial and aquatic plant world
> >showing loss of iron in the presence of carbon.
>
> Hold yer horses.  I don't believe I ever would have said that.  I have
> heard the same claims that you have, but I have _no_ personal experience
> with GAC removing iron, because I DON'T USE IT.  As I've said any number of
> times, I don't avoid it because of the possibility of trace element
> depletion, but because I see no reason to spend money on a product I don't
> need.  My water is crystal clear, even in newly set up tanks.

	Well, if the "that" that you never would have said is referring to
having personally experienced iron iron removal by GAC, then I'm sure
you're right.  However, I didn't write that you had claimed personal
experience, but that you knew of experiential (or anecdotal, if you will)
evidence from terrestrial and aquatic gardening which showed convincingly
enough that GAC use resulted in iron depletion.

	One of the other points I didn't bring up when I originally posted
the "Carbon and Iron ...again" was that there are of course different
types of GAC with different adsorption properties.  I would think some
would remove chelating agents such as EDTA better than others.  Presumably
Jim Layton is taking this into account in his experiment.

		Andrew