Good for you!

Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 10:30:17 -0500
From: amc2 <amc2 at ix_netcom.com>
To: Aquatic-Plants-Owner at ActWin_com
Subject: Over-fertilization

I don't really want to stir up the proverbial "can of worms"; but, from
what I have been reading, most hobbyists are making their own problems.

With a fair amount of fish, good lighting, and weekly additions of an iron
and manganese fertilizer; your plants should be thriving without algae.
Laterite balls at the base of fast growing, heavy rooted plants will be all
that is needed in most waters throughout the country.

I use Triton lighting (4 - 40 watt on a 70 gallon aquarium) 14 hours a day;
Flora-Boost for iron and manganese (trace elements included in the product;
Laterite balls at plants described above about every four months and
partial water changes every two weeks.  I keep a clam shell or a small
(golf ball size) of Aragonite in the aquariums without any problems --
mainly to super-glue Glossostigma or Hemianthus plants until they "take
hold".  I give plants away weekly and they are gorgeous!  No other under
gravel soils, etc.

I have been to Dupla where they have an aquarist that works on the
aquariums daily -- replacing what doesn't look good.  In keeping plants and
fish for over 60 years, I do believe that the German hobbyists love to make
an easy thing difficult!

Let's hear it for easy, enjoyable, gorgeously planted aquariums without so
many problems.

Merrill

Well good for you!