probably bogus viruses and phenol

> From: Christian Spevak <cspevak at rz_uni-osnabrueck.de>
> Date: Sat, 08 Mar 1997 11:20:50 +0100
> Subject: Viruswarnung

> VIRUS ALERT > >> > >> >

There is no way an ASCII mail message can do what you say.  If this had
really come from IBM, I suggest that the IBM employee would have attached
his name to the message.

It looks like a hoax to me.  It seems to be fundamentally a name exchange
from "Good Times" to "Pen Pals."

> From: Rolando <shadoe at io_com>
> Date: Sat, 08 Mar 1997 11:44:48 -0600
> Subject: Re:Chemical Filtration

> I'm sorry you did a fly over on me (not hard with me) .  Where does phenol
> come from?

There are many phenolic groups in lignin and its decomposition products.
Lignin is found in terrestrial plants.  Very loosely, it is like glue
that holds cellulose bundles together.  Sort of the collagen of
terrestrial plants.  I'll probably get in trouble for that one.... ;-)

Craig