RE>Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #559

>Just wondering if I could get an idea of exactly what kind of  >gravel people
are using.

I went to the local big hardware/nursery place (Orchard Supply here in CA, but
you should be able to find the same at a K-mart with nursery or Home Depot)
and bought a big bag of the smallest gravel they sell, which averages the size
of a big lima bean. This is sold for landscaping and cost me a whopping $3.99
or so; I used maybe half of it to cover the soil substrate in a 35-gal. tank.
The only caveat is to wash it well before you put it into the aquarium. I cut
slits in the plastic bag and ran water through it from the garden hose until
it looked reasonably clean. The gravel is multi-colored and looks very natural
-- great with the plants.

DON'T spend $6.99 for a little bag at the aquarium store unless you simply
must have that great neon orange gravel........!!

Christine in Palo Alto, mid-60's, sunny, hummingbirds...