Re: Sequestrine

-----------------------------

>From: ac554 at freenet_carleton.ca (David Whittaker)

>Sparrow wrote
>>Browsing idly through a garden/hardware shop I came across a fertlizer called
>>"sequestrene", the breakdown is as follows......
>>Magnesium (MgO)                10%
>>Iron (Fe)              Chelated EDOHA 2.0%
>>Iron (Fe)              Chelated DTPA   1.2%
>>Iron (Fe)              ChelatedEDHA    0.8%
>>Manganese (Mn)                 3.2%
>>As I am not ready to start sourcing the ingredients for PMDD, I was
>>wondering if
>>this stuff would help in the interim, and if so in what quantities (it is a
>>water soluble powder) and how often?
>>Any help or guidance is as always much appreciated.
>
>Interesting. This is first time to my knowledge that someone on the list
>has encountered a consumer product containing EDDHA(ethylene-diamine
>dihydroxyphenyl acetic acid). It is supposed to be a very good iron
>chelate for use in water of higher alkalinity. It looks like a great
>fertilizer to try.

I have a small can of Sequestrine that I got 20 years ago in Milwaukee.  It
is made by Ciba-Geigy.  At that time they only put iron DTPA in it (as a
powder) and it worked very well as a long-lasting iron source in my
aquariums. I have been looking for Sequestrine in the garden stores around
Jackson, Mississippi, but have never seen it.  Last year I contacted
Ciba-Geigy, and they said that they still make it.  Apparently, they now
include three kinds of chelated iron, and it might even work better than my
old stuff, which works very well.

In soggy, cool Jackson, Mississippi where we had the first sunny day in a
week of rain.