[Prev][Next][Index]

Substrate question

Forgive me my ignorance, but after hearing about vermiculite for all
that time I've been subscribed here, I finally decided to ask: What
is it actually, and what good (or bad) does it do in a plant tank?
Where can it be bought (garden-supply  store, pet store, etc)?

I'm contemplating rebuilding my 50 litre tank (15 gal). I was
thinking I would go with 1 cm of potting soil covered with 2-3 cm fine
sand (1 inch= 2.54 cm). The lighting is currently a single 11W
compact fluo - I will upgrade it to 16W soon and then will perhaps
even double that. Filtration is none. I am thinking about adding DIY
CO2 (after I change the substrate).

Does this sound reasonable? Especially, is the substrate mix ok?

Thanks,

Jan

Jan Fidrmuc

CentER for Economic Research