[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: substrate Qs (green water)

Steve Pushak <spush at saudan_HAC.COM> wrote:

>Some one else asked what to do with a green unicellular algae bloom.
>You have a few choices:
>
>1) grow a floating cover such as Ceratopteris or Salvinia.[SNIP]
>
>2) use a diatom/micron filter to remove the algae.[SNIP]

>3) remove ALL fishies and put in daphnia.[SNIP]
>
>You should also practice very frequent and large water changes and
>decrease the length of lighting time (not intensity).

I've had two attacks of green water. In both cases, only a 90% water change
got rid of it. Reduced lighting and partial water changes did not work. I
started using PMDD at the time of the second attack, and so far, with PMDD
and weekly 33% water changes, the greenies are gone. Also, since PMDD, my
plant growth is teriffic, and I've got very little algae on the glass,
plants and rocks.

Paul

Paul Nicholson               Electronic Imaging Systems, Inc.
TEL 805 532 1068             5148 Commerce Avenue, Unit F
FAX 805 532 1065             Moorpark, CA 93021 U.S.A.
paul at eisusa_com		     http://www.eisusa.com