[Prev][Next][Index]

Re:Homework assignment: Bubble production and water motion

With all this discussion about what causes plants to release streams of
bubbles, I thought I would tell this story to complicate the issue even
more.  Last summer I had a plant of E. uruguayensis by itself in a 75
gallon tank lit by 4 40 watt T-12 cool white bulbs.  The tank was getting
CO2 enrichment, every other day, but there was nothing circulating the
water the rest of the time.  The plant was continually producing streams of
bubbles.  I noticed one day that, if I got the water rocking back and forth
in the tank by rhythmic pushing at one end, bubble production slowed down
and stopped while the water and the leaves of the plant were in motion, but
when things got still again, bubble production started up again.

Since it is not likely that these gentle motions inhibit photosynthesis,
there must be some other explanation.  I have my theory, but I would like
to hear yours first.

I'll give you my theory Saturday.  Let's see what y'all come up with.

In pleasant Jackson, Mississippi where rain will be here soon.