[Prev][Next][Index]

Undergravel filters???

Hi there, I don't want to start any wars, but I would really like to
hear good arguments for and against undergravel filtration in the
planted tank.
I have a well planted 30 gal tank with a couple of small tetras, a
pl*co, 4 otto cats, and some shrimps.  I have been reading a fair bit
about filtration, and plants.  I understand that having a slow flow of
water through the gravel is a good thing because it provides nutrients
to the roots of the plants (if the roots are even used for nutrient
uptake in aquatic plants ???).  I have been using an "over the back of
the tank" filter for mechanical filtration since I started up the tank,
and an UGF for biological filtration as well. I have good plant growth,
and the canister filter really doesn't get that dirty. The only problem
I've had recently is a bad algae go about, but I think I've licked that
one (knock on wood) :)

Ant way, aside from my rambling, would my tank suffer if I removed the
canister filter?  Why? I would appreciate any comments, either to the
list, or by private email (aph at globalserve_net).  TIA.

Adrian Hydon