[Prev][Next][Index]

SeaChem Test Kits

Olga in Vancouver wrote:

>Hi, can someone give me a quick answer on whether or not the Seachem Test
>Kits are reliable for freshwater? I need a phosphate test kit and the
>Seachem is quite a bit cheaper than the LaMotte. I can order one from my
>local store if I put in a request by tomorrow but I'd rather spring for
>the LaMotte than get a test kit that isn't accuarate. How about the iron
>test kit?

I have been pleased with SeaChem's test kits, and particularly so with the
phosphate kit.  I like the reference test solutions and though they are
very modest little setups, the white dishes provide a good background for
matching the colors.  I have RO/DI water which I use to see the exact color
for zero phosphates.  I now have a good feel for "trace" levels of
phosphates which helps me tweak nutrient dosing.

At least a couple folks on the APD have complained about QC problems with
SeaChem kits.  I think it was yellowed reagent in the Fe kit.  SeaChem will
apparently replace "defective" kits.  Through mail order, the kits are
about $15 if memory serves.

Steve Dixon