[Prev][Next][Index]

re: Diseased Java Fern

Dear Folks,

We found a fungus associated with the diseased tissue of the Java
Fern.  We didn't bother to try to isolate it (believe it or not we have
other, more pressing matters around here and besides, there's no
fungicides that I'd want to try with my fish).  I had tried removing
diseased leaves but that wasn't working, the disease kept infecting new
growth. I didn't want to chance cross contamination with my 75 gallon
tank so I just threw it out.  If I wanted to keep the fern I might have
removed the obviously diseased tissue and then dipped it in a dilute
chlorine solution.  I've also seen fungi associated with cryp. melt but I
think in that case the disease is secondary to plant stress.  I hadn't
had any major changes in the five gallon for several months so I think
the fungus was the primary factor in my Java Fern's demise.

*	Chazz Hesselein					*
*	P.O. Box 81508					*
*	Mobile, AL 36689				*
*	voice: 334-316-3772				*
*	email: maf01562 at maf_moblile.al.us		*