[Prev][Next][Index]

Re:Nutrients & Hydroponics vs Aquaculture

     >After talking to various plant people, it was interesting to note
     >that the levels of trace element in the PMDD mix vs. most hydroponic
     >trace mixes are 20 to 1,000 times as much.  Does anyone know why we
     >would need (for example) 1,000 times more of an element in a fishtank
     >vs. hydroponics (which seems to me to be the same minus the fish)?

     Yes, the product concentration is lower, but the amount (volume) you
     actually USE is more.  I do not know why the stock solution of some
     hydroponic fertilizers is so low (maybe so they can sell more units?).
     The actual concentration of N-P-K and trace elements in the hydroponic
     growth medium is higher than we would dare have in our tanks.

     I inquired about a 7% chelated iron-trace element mix at a hydroponics
     store once, and the clerk was astounded--"500 grams of 7% Fe?!?!?!?
     Why, that would last you for YEARS!!!!"  Another clerk tried to
     persuade me that 7% Fe would be toxic.

     It's also worth noting that the American hydroponics shops sell mostly
     dilute, liquid fertilizers, very little powder.  If you work out the
     costs, you are paying a pretty penny to have (mostly) water shipped to
     you.