[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Floating plant identification (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 07:26:05 -0800
From: amc2 at ix_netcom.com
To: Aquatic-Plants-Owner at ActWin_com
Subject: Re: Floating plant identification

On 02/04/97 03:39:02 you wrote:

>From: Len Trigg <trigg at lucy_cs.waikato.ac.nz>
>Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 16:50:12 (+1200)
>Subject: YAPI (Yet Another Plant Identification) request :-)
>
>Ok, here's the rundown. I haven't actually seen this plant, just had
>it described to me. Any of you know what it might be?
>
>Floating plant. Leaves about fingernail sized, slight reddish
>colouring, and often overlapping. Has flotation bladders about the
>size of grains of rice. Quite thick root system. Apparently a Tropica
>plant. Also apparently a type of ludwigia.

Len:

I have this plant and it is very interesting.  Mr. Holger Windlov of
Tropica in Denmark introduced this in Germany at Interzoo a year ago and
gave me a piece.  He found it in Thailand and just calls it a true
floating Ludwigia.  Strangely enough, when grown out of doors (in a
pond), it takes on an entirely different appearance -- all green and
blooms continuously with small buttercup-like white flowers and the white
flotation bladders.  When I bring some in for the Winter, it reverts to
your description above -- and grows well under Triton lights.  It does
not grow submerged!

Merrill