[Next][Index]

Re: Fishproof plants?

>From: N.Monks at nhm_ac.uk (Neale Monks)
>Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 13:58:37 +0000
>Subject: Fishproof plants?
>

>Any ideas on species of plants that will do well in aquaria with "robust"
>if non-herbivorous fishes? Such as catfish and cichlids.
[message snipped]
>Microsorium is
>often suggested, but roots slowly, by which time the fish will have taken
>it from the stones or twigs.

Microsorium (Java Fern) can be tied down to the stones or wood with thin
fishing line. If you do a good job, it will be difficult for the fish to
untie the knots. This will greatly facilitate the ultimate attachment of the
plant. You can also do this with Bolbitis.

When I used to maintain herbivores, like Mbuna (the algae grazing African
cichlids from Lake Malawi), I would always keep Vesicularia (Java moss) in
their tanks. I think the mbuna ate the java fern. Fish do not seem to like
to eat Java moss. My water turtle, doesn't even eat it. I would usually
wedge it between large rocks. Once it starts growing well, it will attach to
rock which looks nice and helps it keep in place.

Neil Frank      Aquatic Gardeners Association         Raleigh, NC