[Prev][Next][Index]

Ironite

For some time now, I have been using Ironite to feed my aquarium plants.
 It is inexpensive, readily available and appears to have all of the
necessary goodies in it.  The analysis follows:
                               N ............... 2.0%
                               Ca .............. 1.0%
                               Mg .............. 1.0%
                               S ...............12.0%
                               Co .............. 0.0005%
                               Fe ..............11.0%
                               Mn .............. 0.05%
                               Mo .............. 0.0005%
                               Zn .............. 0.5%
     Nitrogen is derived from Urea.  Fe & S are derived from pyrite and
from  Iron sulfate.  The rest of the elements are derived from sulfates.
 When added to the tank, the water clouds for a short while, then clears.
 The plants appear to love it.  Various species of Echinodorus ('Red
Rubin', 'Ruffled Swd', E. quadricostatus) and a selection of Aponogetons
(A. feestralis, A. longiplumulosa, A. crispus, etc.), etc.,etc., etc.,
all do very well, indeed.  From time to time, I supplement their diet
with an appropriately sized fragment of a Gro-Power tablet inserted under
the roots.  I have never weighed what I put into the tank, I just add
what feels good at the time.  Nothing scientific.  I have very little
algae, although there is some of that damnable tough, dark green stuff
forming on the lace leaf plant.  I don't really have a question, just a
blurb to see what others have to say.  I do have a very crude yeast CO2
generator that I conjured upp a few weeks ago ( I do have a CO2 bottle
but no regulator), and the lighting is limited to a 48" Triton and a 48"
Day-Cycle bulb (for reptiles).  Unfortunately, this bulb is not included
on the list that came out of the Krib recently.