[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Cleaning gravel (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 13:23:59 -0800
From: amc2 at ix_netcom.com
To: Aquatic-Plants-Owner at ActWin_com
Subject: Re: Cleaning gravel

>From: joe at samson_chem.uic.edu (Joe Sachleben)
>Date: Fri, 24 Jan 97 10:48:16 -0800
>Subject: cleaning gravel
>
>I have a pretty basic question. I have a fairly heavily planted
>30 gallon tank which contains a couple of juvenile discus and
>some tetras. I perform weekly water changes with a gravel vacuum to
>help remove feces. However vacuuming the gravel is quite difficult
>with all the plants in the tank. How should I go about cleaning
>a planted tank without disturbing my plants?

Joe:

I use an Automatic Aquarium Water Changer and I do not disturb the gravel.

My success has been great for years!  Once every 5 or six months, I will
remove any excess "mulm" with a Python vacuum.  This makes life easy and
all that I have to do is continuous pruning of plants.

Best wishes.

Merrill