[Prev][Next][Index]

Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #470 -Reply

rom: Jim Hurley <hurleyj at arachnaut_org>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 23:01:50 -0800
Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #468

>RE transformer question

You put your undergravel heater transformer in the water?!

I don't understand this. Why not leave it out of the tank?

reply

I guess I need to be more precise with my technical writing skills.  The
implication was that some of these low voltage transformers are
designed for underwater lighting in ponds, fountains, etc. and some are
designed for above water low voltage lighting, e.g. sidewalk or deck
lighting.  The transformers designed for lights that are submerged are
several times more expensive and I can discern no difference in their
construction other than an integrated GFI circuit breaker.  In either case
the transformer must be located in a dry location.

On another issue.  Someone suggested using an ac source from a
switching transformer.  I suspect that the power source is less important
than the care taken to shield/water proof/ground the components.  For
safety concerns I would be very reluctant to employ ac in an aquarium
where there is ANY chance of a current leak. (The voltage is not as
critical as the current)  Try to open up a power head to see the lengths
manufacturers go to waterproof their products.