[Prev][Next][Index]

Color spectrum Vs Degree Kelvin??

I was wondering if any or our resident technophiles could help me
understand the relationship between the color spectrum of light as
measured by nanometers vs. degrees Kelvin.  Specifically the color
spectrum of light runs from ultraviolet to infared (sp?), measured I
believe in nanometers with the 480 nm range and 720nm range being the
colors blue and red respectively that we aquaticplantophiles look for for
optimum plant growth.  I know all spectrums of light help plants and I
don't want to reinitiate that discussion.  As measured in degrees kelvin
I know that I'm looking for 5500 degrees kelvin in my GE SPX 50
flourescent bulbs and I believe the light gets cooler (bluer) above that
6500, 7000, etc and warmer (redder) below that 3000k etc.  If all that I
have described is somewhat accurate then,, what is the relationship.  Is
it possible to say I have a 5000k light which corresponds to a certain
wavelength of light as measured in nanometers or is degrees Kelvin a
combination of spectrums as I would assume it would have to be if a 5000k
bulb is considered a full spectrum bulb.

			Any edification would be appreciated,

		Miles Morrissey in 5 degree (Farenheit) New England
				mmorriss at sophia_smith.edu