[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #447

Craig Bingman mentions....

>Chloride ions are
>essentially unreactive.  It is the major anion in seawater, but usually
>it isn't the dominant anion in freshwater, or it is about as abundant as
>sulfate or bicarbonate.
>
>Some fish from very soft water may be somewhat susceptible to high Cl-.
>Generally, though, at low concentrations, it is completely innocuous.  I
>doubt that there will be enough Cl- buildup from the use of the
>fertilizer that you mention to cause problematically high Cl-
>concentrations if you perform even occasional water changes.

There are four pie charts on page 68 of the Optimum Aquarium where
the authors analyze the cation and anion concentrations in both
mains water and waters from Cryptocoryne areas that they had sampled.
In the Cryptocoryne areas the average in % mval for the chloride
anion is given as 51%; in mains water 20%. FWIW

--
Dave Whittaker
ac554 at FreeNet_Carleton.ca