[Prev][Next][Index]

HCl & residual chloride

>      Though some folks in "the trade" utilize inorganic acids (in
> concert with alkaline reserve test kits, meters, amperometrics) to
> mass-shift (generally only temporarily) large volumes of water's pH,
> this is a dangerous proposition for a hobbyist. Too easy to burn your
> livestock, a bunch of residual chloride (in HCl's case) in your water,
> and often the vagaries of "bounce" of the chemistry back to high pH.

Can you say more about the problem of residual chlorides? I am one of those
fishkeepers who adds salt to my tank--1 tblsp/5 gallons. What happens to
the chloride there? I don't know the chemical terms but get the impression
from some chemist friends that residual chloride should be harmless ... TIA.

Greg. Tong
San Francisco, CA, USA

"Every infinity is composed of only two halves."