[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Stupid plants

>From: "Williams, Rochelle - DCSPIM" <williaro at ftmcphsn-emh1_army.mil>
>Subject: Stupid Plants
>
>My stupid plants don't appreciate PMDD and more light.  I'm frustrated and
>don't know what to do...HELP!  I went from 1.5 watts per gal to 3 watts per
>gal last week.  About a month ago, a version of PMDD was added because the
>tank was nitrogen limited.  I add 5 drops of TetraPond Flora Fin with a
>guaranteed analysis of N - 0.55%, P2O5 - 0.00% and K2O - 6.60% which is
>added every 2-3 days.  I also add 5 drops of Wiegandt GmbH's ferro vit for
>additional iron.  The label doesn't give specific details (yes, I know
>that's bad) and says its an "iron-complex fertilizer for freshwater
>plants."  Since I'm not adding other micronutrients, I figured I could live
>with it until I find a good micronutrient source.

The N content of 0.55% is rather low if you are treating a nigrogen-limited
tank, I would look for a fertilizer that has a much higher percentage of
nitrate.

>Here's the problem - holes in the leaves and red algae.  Overall the black
>brush algae plagueing the tank IS DEFINATELY going away.  Soft red algae
>(looks like hair algae, only it's red) is forming on the lymnophelia.  This
>evening I found lots of brownish or reddish algae growing on the front
>glass of the tank.  I can live with these because its only temporary and
>they can be removed.  But why are the plants developing holes in
>them???????  AUGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!  THIS ISN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!
................<snipped>................................

The holes in new leaves are not any known deficiency symptom.  Something is
damaging the leaves.  As far as the hair algae, you should not assume that
its presence necessarily means that your nutrients are "out of balance" or
that it will go away if you establish a "correct balance".  These hair
algae types live on the same nutrients that your higher plants live on, and
if there are enough nutrients to support the growth of the higher plants,
then the hair algae will be able to grow also.

>------------------------------
>
>From: "Matthew Paul Rhoten" <mrhoten at surly_org>
>Subject:cyanobacteria

.........................<snipped>.................................
>Now, on a more APD-central topic, one dear to most of our hearts:
>cyanobacteria. I am interested in treating a limited but up-and-coming
>cyanobacteria infection in the small (10g) planted tank in my office. Is
>there a consensus on which nutrients are typically limiting for

An alternative to antibiotic treatment is to cut way back on the light and
use snails.  Often snails refuse to eat well-lit cyanobacteria, but they
happly clean up poorly-lit cyanobacteria.  I think the difference is that
in good light, the cyanobacteria make defensive compounds, but in weak
light, they are unable to make these compounds at levels high enough to
repel snails.

In 75 degree Jackson, Mississippi, where our long spell of warm weather is
about to end.