[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Ambula problems and Living Water Vital Snake Oil

>From: MMacG1167 at aol_com
>Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 17:46:03 -0500
>Subject: Ambulia problems

Matt MacGregor wrote about the lower leaves on his Ambula turning brown and
dropping off:

Nutrient deficiencies that cause die-off of the older leaves are primarily
potassium and magnesium.  Nitrogen deficiency also shows up first on the
older leaves, but, in my experience, the older leaves do not die and fall
off while the plant is still growing.  In severe nitrogen deficiency, the
whole plant becomes yellowish and stops growing without losing very many
leaves.  Loss of older leaves is also seen when a plant, especially a stem
plant, isn't getting enough light.  Is your Ambula  getting some of its
light cut off by the Vallisneria or the sword plants?

-----------------------------

>From: James Purchase <jpp at inforamp_net>
>Subject: RE: Living Water Vital Redux
>
>Hi everyone,

.......................<snipped>..........................

>While I don't wish to refute Mr. Weiss' assertions, how much time has he
>spent in the Amazon basin hunting for rare organic acids? And could
>someone PLEASE tell me what a "enzymic activated catalyst" is?

An enzyme is a protein that acts as a catalyist, and nearly all enzymes
have short lifetimes when in solution.  If you ordered an enzyme from a
supply company, it would come as a powder, with instructions to keep in the
freezer.  Once dissolved in water and kept at room temperature, it doesn't
last long.  Eznymes in solution also make good food for bacteria.  These
are reasons why I don't think that Marc Weiss's product could have any
truly functioning enzymes in it.

...........................<snipped>...............................

>>  Enhances ability of plants, microflora and microfauna to obtain
>> nutrients and energy from water and utilize light. Contains non-toxic
>> biological accelerators for freshwater microorganisms." and says it "contains
>> no nitrates, phosphates or silicates."

The ability of plants, etc, to take up nutrients is due to specific
cellular uptake mechanisms, and these have been studied extensively.  There
is no way known to the people who study these things to enhance their
uptake capabilities.  The only possible way to enhance a plant's uptake
mechanisms would be to genetically alter the plant. Pseudoscientific clamis
like the above can sound reasonable to people who have not had a lot of
biology courses, including a plant nutrition course.  But to me, they sound
like the claims of the shampoos that have special protiens and vitamins to
repair and strengthen your hair.  Your hair can't respond to any of this
stuff because it is composed entirely of dead cells, filled with a protein
called keratin.  The keratin can't pick up proteins or vitamins and do
anything with them.

>Enough already!

Amen!

In warm, foggy Jackson, Mississippi.