[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Mystery tank

> From: RicCooney at aol_com
> Subject: Mystery Tank
>
> Hi all, hopefully you all can shed some light on this mystery. We
>have a 52g tank set up over a year. Two weeks ago we noticed
>that the co2 level was 50ppm. Quite high we thought so we cut off
>the DIY yeast engine. We are doing weekly  15% water changes
>with DI water enhanced with trace elements(Electro-Right)and pH
>adjuster.

Paul Sears responded:

>If you are using a "pH adjuster", you can forget about doing KH
>and CO2 measurements.  The results will be completely
>meaningless if there is another buffer system in there.  You will
>measure the other buffer components as well as the KH (HCO3-)
>or CO2.

If the "pH Adjuster" is the one that came with the Aquarium
Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Purifier, it contains only sodium
bicarbonate solution.  I use it with ElectroRight and haven't had any
problems at all (yes, I know, it would be cheaper to make my own ;-)
Beware of other products on the market that might contain
phosphate buffers.

Jonathan in Maryland
(currently not raining but getting ready to)
Energetics, Inc
7164 Gateway Drive
Columbia, MD 21046
(410) 290-0370