[Prev][Next][Index]

More on Python Modifications

Just wanted to add my $0.02US to the Python thread.  If you are
concerned with the large amount of wasted water used to drain water from
your tank, just detach the hose from the faucet couple.  The water will
still drain once the suction is started as long as the end of the python
hose is lower than the top of the water in the tank.  Gravity does the
work for you.

While the water is draining, I use the time to clean algae, trim plants,
etc. but I'm afraid the curious fish will find their ways up and into
the python (this actually happened to a poor albino cory).  To prevent
this from happening, I thickness of kitchen cheesecloth was placed
loosely over the end of the gravel end and held in place with a rubber
band.  Cheesecloth is a type of material that is made of very coarsely
woven cotton threads.  The thread weaves may be as much as 3-7 mm apart.
 This is large enough to not constrict the water flow, but small enough
to keep those pesky tetras and cories from getting caught.  When I'm
actually cleaning the gravel or sucking out algae, the material is
removed.

Rochelle Williams
williaro at ftmcphsn-emh1_army.mil