[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Chlorine

> From: nickedmunds at juno_com
> Subject: Re: Automatic Water Changer vs Python Syphon
>
> The Automatic Water changer works by the principle that chlorine is very
> unstable in water.  As the fine jet of water hits the surface, causing
> turbulence, the chlorine is broken down, no longer to be found present
> as chlorine.

	This is nonsense.  To remove the elemental chlorine put in
water, you need a reducing agent.  Turbulence will do nothing.

> In testing the product, they went for 48 hours on smal
> tanks and then tested for chlorine and none was found.

	I'm not surprised.  Small tanks have lots of reducing agents
in them - fish, plants, fish poop, algae.  The question is:- Does
the chlorine damage the fish significantly before it is gone?
I would think that planted tanks would be much better, as the plants
should take most of the damage from what is, after all, very
corrosive stuff!

--
Paul Sears        Ottawa, Canada

Finger ap626 at freenet_carleton.ca for PGP public key.