[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: automatic or python water changes

>From: olga at arts_ubc.ca
>
>I, too have questions about water changes with these methods. I'd like to
>use a python to both take out and add water but if one does that, how do
>you prevent chlorinated water from getting into the aquarium? If the pH of
>the tap water is a lot different than that of the aquarium, how does one
>adjust that? What do people who use these do?

In general, and for a larger tank (not a bowl or 10-gallon), you can safely
add water directly from the tap without changing pH or temp in the tank if
you're making up to a 25% change. You can mix hot and cold water at the tap
to reach the right temp too.

The Automatic Water Changer has the advantage of adding water very slowly
through a fine spray. The spray lets a lot of chlorine escape into the air.
The device's disadvantage is that it has no venturi action (which the
Python has) to suck water out of the tank; you must rely on gravity.

I use a Python and add dechlorinator to the stream of water as it flows
into my tank.

Greg. Tong
San Francisco, CA, USA

"Every infinity is composed of only two halves."