[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: CO2 Regulators - The Sequel

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to say Thank You to everyone who jumped in with recommendations
concerning CO2 regulators and related equipment. Initially, I had hoped
that it would be simpler but when I researched the topic on the net I
kept coming up with stories about CO2 tanks releasing their gas in one
mad blow and even George Booth making comments about tying it up with
leather straps (of course, as I recall Karen Randall jumped in quickly
to calm George down).

I do have limited experience with using CO2 to carbonate soda pop, but
was taught to treat a pressurized cylinder with a great deal of respect.
I guess this is where my fear comes from. Sort of like a boogey man from
childhood come back to haunt me.

Now, armed with the information that you have so kindly supplied (thanks
especially to Matt MacGregor for a VERY detailed, step by step note) I
shall pick up the phone and make a few calls.

Pat Bowerman suggested, in APD V2 #362 that I also pick up a solenoid in
order to be able to have a timer turn the system off at night:

>FWIW, to folks trying to build their own CO2 system, I would recommend a
>solenoid. It's cheap ($20 or so) and it is a snap to install. It allows
>you to hook your system to a timer so you can shut it down at night when
>your plants don't need CO2 anyway, and you don't have to worry about a
>CO2 disaster while your sleeping. (sort of a PMC, that's poor man's
>controller)
>
>Pat Bowerman

It sounds sensible to me, but in an earlier post George Booth doesn't
recommend turning a manually operated system off at night. George, is
that because of the difficulty of fiddling with the valves or
re-adjusting everything every day? I realize that with a manually
controlled system I am going to have moderate (I hope) pH swings but
several items in the archives state that this is not unduly stressful.

Thanks again ladies and gentlemen.

James Purchase
Toronto, Ontario
jpp at inforamp_net