[Prev][Next][Index]

Re:CO2 regulator suggestions

     I use a 20 pound CO2 cylinder, topped off with a regulator (purchased from
     a local beer-brewing supply for $45) and a NuPro needle valve (mentioned in
     the FAQ and purchased from a local valve supply for $35).  It's a manual
     system--no solenoid.  I do not believe it is necessary.

     The regulator has two manometers, one for cylinder pressure and one for
     output pressure.  The regulator's control valve is not precise enough to
     consistently produce the 1 bubble/second flow I want, and that is what the
     needle valve is for.  It has a micrometer-like adjustment that can
     accurately dole out any flow rate from one bubble/minute to empty the
     cylinder/minute.  It even has a set screw to prevent my three year old from
     making unauthorized adjustments.

     I keep the output from the regulator to the needle valve at 30 psi.  Needle
     valves need a fair amount of incoming pressure (>10-15 psi) to work
     properly.  Regular airline tubing then runs from the needle valve to my
     Eheim intake.

     I'm sure the Dupla equipment works just fine, but I cannot imagine a BETTER
     manual system than mine, especially for the price.