[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Best oxygenating floating plant

>From: Stephen.Pushak at saudan_HAC.COM
>
>I've used Salvinia with Anabantids (Bettas) in small tanks
>quite successfully. I was wondering if Salvinia are very good
>oxygenators for water since they float on the surface and their
>leaves are actually in the air. It could be that these plants
>get more ammonia from an environment if they _don't_ oxygenate
>the water. They get all the CO2 they need from the air and have
>little need to protect their "roots" since they don't penetrate
>into the substrate.
>
>[Q] : What is the best non-rooted oxygenating plant for use with
>small (say 2 liter) containers of fish like Killies????

Most people don't think of it as a floating plant, but I do.  Anacharis is
a good floating plant and I believe it's a good oxygenator as well.

David W. Webb           Enterprise Computing
Texas Instruments Inc.  Dallas, TX USA
(972) 575-3443 (voice)  MSGID:       DAWB
(972) 575-4853 (fax)    Internet:    dwebb at ti_com
(972) 581-2380 (pager)  Text Pager:  dwebb at ti_com Subj:PAGE