[Prev][Next][Index]

Algae-fighting plants

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 14:54:48 -0500
To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
From: krombhol at maco_teclink.net (Paul Krombholz)
Subject: Re: Algae-fighting plants

>Subject: Algae-fighting plants
>
>According to Tropica Plants, Ceratophyllum Demersum exhibits
>"alleopathic behaviour". That is, it excretes substances that inhibit
>algae growth. Does anyone know if other plants do this? Do these
>substances also inhibit general plant growth or is the effect limited
>to algae?
>
>It seems that if this is true, then algae control could at least be
>given a boost by using bunches of plants that exhibit alleopathic
>behavior.
>
>Any thoughts?
>Kind Regards,
>Justin

Ceratophyllum does seem to make bluegreen algae (cyanobacteria) go away,
and, in my experience, so does Hydrilla. The cyanobacteria doesn't seem to
be killed, rather, it seems to stop growing and slowly diminish to nothing
over a month or two.   Unfortunately, neither Ceratophyllum nor Hydrilla
has any effect on green water algae.

Diana Walstad has a good literature review of allopathy in aquatic plants
and algae, starting in Vol. 8, number 4 of The Aquatic Gardener.

In chilly Mississippi, where I am hoping they can get the heat working in
the science building before the next cold front comes.