[Prev][Next][Index]

Lighting

Subject: Lighting

Erik,

> Why slam one paragraph when the overall post
> supported your theory?

It was not my intention to slam your post.  I think we are in
agreement that there are _many_ factors that contribute to the
lighting equation in a planted tank.  It's just that this
particular red herring has been being put forward too often lately
(not necessarily by you) as a SIGNIFICANT factor in lighting a
planted tank.

While it is certainly interesting to discuss all the factors
involved in lighting, when all is said and done, we are no closer
to a better rule of thumb than we already have... 2-3W per gallon
minimum.

I guess I'm just tired of beginners getting mislead into thinking
that they will not need more light in a deeper tank.  Again, I
realize that you were trying to present all known factors, and I'm
sorry if it appeared that I was quarreling with your post.

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Assoc.
Boston, MA