[Prev][Next][Index]

Re:Plants are dying

>From: ggalante <ggalante at colybrand_com>
>To: Aquatic-Plants-Owner <Aquatic-Plants-Owner at ActWin_com>
>Subject: Plants are dying - Please Advise
>
>I have lost any hope to grow healthy plants.  Regardless of what type
plants I
>am dealing with it is always the same result - holes in the yellow
(dying)
>lives (however I did manage to grow a lot of ugly looking algae
(greenish-blue).

>Here is my setup:
>65 G tank
>4" substrate (regular gravel)
>4X48" full spectrum florescent bulbs
>Complete CO2 setup (manual)
>PH = 7.2 - 7.3
>I have 52 fish in the tank.
>
>I am not sure if this information is sufficient enough to make any
>conclusions.  I made so much investment in this tank (CO2 itself is
around
>$250.00) that I obviously expected more than the algae.

Gennady:

Never lose hope!!  You can grow gorgeous aquatic plants, but we need to
know the water quality and the area in which you live.  Actually, you
can get much information from your local water department. "Regular
gravel" doesn't convey anything; what's your water hardness
(particularly calcium)?  Do you put in good aquatic plants?  How long
do you burn your lights?  Have you used an iron and manganese
supplement like "Flora-Boost" when you planted your aquarium?  How old
are your fluorescent tubes?

Do you just put in a few plants when you plant your aquarium?  I'm
suggesting that you should plant relatively heavy with all your fish
and additional C02.

Merrill <amc2 at ix_netcom.com> in still balmy Baltimore.