[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Paludarium

> From: olga at arts_ubc.ca
> Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 11:53:31 -0700
> Subject: Paludarium
>
> I'm going to be setting up a paludarium in the next few weeks. Karen
> Randall has answered some questions for me and been very helpful. I'd
> appreciate hearing from others on this digest who have set one up and have
> had some experience with them. Ideas of design, lighting, plants, fish etc.
> would be interesting. Not that I want to copy someone else just avoid
> pitfalls that someone else has already gone through.
>
> As well as fish I was thinking of keeping a frog in it. Anyone have any
> ideas, pros and cons on this idea? Are small turtles feasible? How about
> newts?
>
> Olga
> in Vancouver

Olga,
The frog or newts will be ok, I suppose. However, turtles are
compatible only with other turtles. They would not eat your plants
(they are omnivorous to carnivorous)
but they are quite clumsy so that they would continuously uproot them
and/or tear them to pieces. They also grow rather quickly and within
a few years they will be about a foot long (most commonly sold
aquatic turtles, such as red-eared sliders).

Jan Fidrmuc

CentER for Economic Research
Tilburg University
P.O.Box 90153