[Prev][Next][Index]

eriocaulon

I will  sort of reply to both the emails about eriocalon together for
this. In answer to the first question about actually growing it I have
not done it yet either. However within ANGFA there are some very keen
plant nuts and I suggest that you contact Bruce hansen about it. He has
posted to this list before. If you live in melbourne try Neil Armstrong
or Ron Bowman, again within ANGFA. It is an ultra high light high temp
plant from what I have heard in the wild, ie it has been found in pools
of around the 40 degree celcius mark in full sun in shallow pools.

>Several people that I know have and all say that it is an annual.
Absolutely true I have not heard of anybody being able to keep this plant
more than a single season, unlike Ottelia alismoides which is supposed to
be an annual but I know of people with four year old plants.

> Subject: Re: Eriocaulon
>
> Where did you read that this species is an annual?
The latest ANGFA Fishes of Sahul volume has an article on it by Neil
Armstrong who was among the fisrt of people to get it growing in captivity.

>The Eriocaulon that I
> am familiar with is an evergreen (Eriocaulon septangulare).

seataceum is supposed to be the only true aquatic in the genus and it is
from a tropical lattitude.

>The seeds are
> fairly easy to germinate. Here in Canada they need a cold treatment and
> then they can be sown in trays in a fertile sand substrate (containing
> some soil).

I am still awaiting my seed and instructions so I can not really compare
anything here.

 The plant may be difficult to culture as in nature they are
> found in oligotrophic, acidic lakes with extremely low DIC levels ... in
> fact they get their CO2 from the sediment through their roots ... I would
> think that with this plant CO2 injection would be essential. They are
> also amphibious and need fairly high light levels.

If anybody is interested in australian plants or fish a Rainbowfish
mailing list exists. The RML archive address is below which should
contain instructions on subscription anyway.

Peter Hughes ANGFA ACT Australia
ANGFA ACT web page at http://www.pcug.org.au/~aford/angfa.htm
RML http://www.pcug.org.au/~andrew/rml