[Prev][Next][Index]

[Fwd: [Fwd: tiger lotus]]

hope this survives my ignorance.
stan
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 19:56:44 -0600
From: "STANLEY A. SKINGER" <DREAMLIGHT at worldnet_att.net>
To: cww at scranton_com
Subject: [Fwd: tiger lotus]

Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 15:45:59 -0600
From: "STANLEY A. SKINGER" <DREAMLIGHT at worldnet_att.net>
To: williaro at ftmcphsn-emh1_army.mil
Subject: tiger lotus

Lotus are a very large pond/lake plant where even the most minature are
far too large for aquaria.  Found in the south eastern US, Asia,
mid-east, africa, and there is even a colony in a thermal spring in
Europe (yugoslavia, I believe.)
Interestingly every part of the plant is used as a staple food i8n asia.
 The leaves are used by rolling various food in them ans steaming it.
the stems are pickeled, the flower petels in salads, the seed eaten like
peanuts, and the roots as a staple for many dishes.  The plant itself is
revered in many cultures.  It is hardy in pond culture and can take over
a pond if not contained.  I have observed the 'runners' reach a legnth
of over 20' in a season at the Denver Botanic Garden.
If you need a supplier, contact a garden nursery pond center in your
area.  Lotus are best shipped from feburary to mid-april, as they become
unmanagable once they start growing.  Should you need more info, drop me
a line.  Best wishes,
Stan