[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: My 2 cents on filters

> From: wmbrady at chesapeake_net (Bill Brady)
> Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 09:08:23 -0400 (EDT)
>
> Trickle filters and skimmers are not for us plant lovers, they both drive
> off CO2. Skimmers have the added disadvantage of not working well in FW.
> Save both of these types for Salt.

I strongly disaggree about trickle filters driving off CO2 and being
unsuitable for plant tanks.  I did some careful experiments a few
years ago that demonstrated that trickle filters DO NOT drive off CO2
if they are set up properly (no surface turbulence and no air
injection in the media chamber).  Given the other benefits of a
trickle filter (biofiltration being a minor benefit), I highly
recommend them.  All three of our large tanks have identical trickle
filter setups.

George