[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: duckweed eradicator ???

Hi Eric,

> Can anyone suggest a method of eradicating duckweed? It thrives in my
> tanks far too well. I routinely remove a layer off the surface of the
> water with my weekly water changes. Are there any fish (or other creatures)
> that are natural predators, that won't do too much damage to my other
> tank occupants, bith plants and fish?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric Deese   Columbus, Ohio  USA

	Ah yes, the plague of Lemna minor!  Some fish, such as livebearers,
will nibble at it, but they'll nibble at other plants as well.  I've heard
stories of peoples angelfish eating it as well, but this sort of depends
on the fish's personality.

	Personally, I apply patience to eradicate the duckweed.  Don't
throw it out though.  Instead, dry it out on a pan (can be put in the
oven at a low temperature to speed this up) and then crush it up. Instant
fish food for livebearers and good greenery for other fish!

Regards,

Chris Teichreb