[Prev][Next][Index]

Patience, Anubias, Ghost shrimp, A. Ulvaceus Flowers

Subject: Patience with Plants

> What is a reasonable amount of time to wait after you try someth
> try a new fertilizer, try a new lighting scheme, etc...) before
> that the new change either helped, hurt or did not affect the pl
>
> I know that it has to be specie dependent, so specifically I am
> to Hygrophila polysperma, Echinodorous, Java Fern, and Vallisner

Well, it does depend on the species, I'd say you'd have to wait at
least 6-8 weeks for Java Ferns, 4-6 weeks for Echinodorus sp. and
2 weeks (plus or minus) for Hygro Polysperma to show whether they
are responding to a change in fertilizer.

But the length of time also depends on what you are experimenting
with.  Getting rid of algae can be a long slow process.  I don't
consider that I've given lighting a fair trial until I've tried it
with numerous species over at least a year. (obviously negative
results _might_ show up sooner and need to be addressed)  For
substrates, I am very conservative, and want to see how plants are
doing at least a couple of years out before I leap to advocate a
specific type of substrate.

Murphy's Law being what it is, negative results tend to show up
faster and more convincingly than positive results ;-)

 ------------------------------

> From: jphealy at sysconn_com
> Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 16:08:22 -0400 (EDT)
> Subject: Anubias
>
> Aquarium Fish Magazine has a really good article about Anubias t
> (September). It includes photos. If you can get it in Australia,
> worth it.

Thanks, Jason!  Just a note.  Please read the text not the photo
captions.  While I submitted the photos, they did their own
captioning.  There are a couple of errors that are glaringly
obvious if you know Anubias, but might be missed if you're new to
them.  Also, in the side bar on named species, all the varieties
listed after A. barteri are varieties _of_ A. barteri.

I'm sending Ed a note on the problem with the captions, so there
will probably be an errata in the next issue or the one after
that.

 ------------------------------

Subject: Ghost shrimp question

> Does anyone know if Clown loaches would eat Ghost shrimp? I'd li
> some Ghost shrimp for extra algae control but not to feed my loa

Considering how much they relish snails, and their impressive
dentition, I'd be surprised if they _didn't_ eat shrimp.

------------------------------

Subject: Aponogeton Ulvaceus Flowers

> Hi, Is it common for Apon. Ulvaceous to send up 3, and 4 flower
> plant in a short period of time?  I have two of these plants and
> flowers that are open and the other has 4 flowers that are open.
> flowers have emerged out of the water and tank at about 6 or mor
> time goes on they have developed prickly star shaped pods?  Shou
> these up and get seeds out to propagate, or is it not worth the
> How do you propagate them? The flower stalks are lasting a long
> you.

Most Aponogetons, including ulvaceous, bloom quite freely in the
aquarium.  Rememer though, that there are alos _lots_ of hybrid
Aponos out there, including lots of hybrid ulvaceous.  That's not
to detract from the plant... it often makes them easier to work
with.

If your flower stalks are setting seed, the plant is obviously
self fertile.  Leave the seeded flower stalks alone.  The stem
will eventually begin to rot.  At this poin the seed will float
free, drop to the bottom of the tank and germinate if not bothered
by the fish.  To maximize yield, move the germinating seed to a
tank with similar good growth conditions, but minus the fish until
the plants have attained a little size and a stronger root system.

Even if you leave them completely alone, you'll probably have a
few baby plants survive.

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Assoc.
Boston, MA