[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: E. horemannii flowers

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 08:18:40
From: "Douglas C. Skokna" <dougcs at gnn_com>
To: Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com
Subject: Re:  E. horemannii flowers

Dionigi wrote:

> {SNIP} daughter plant of the other, which I
>divided months ago. In their previous setting the original plant first
>suffered from several months of inappropriate light and nutrients
>conditions, but over the past 6-8 months in the PMDD era, it has steadily
>come back, at the point of making a daughter plant. Now, in this new tank,
>they have both sprouted the largest leaves ever (~3" wide), and one of
>them has a  short stalk (1") with a rosette formation that looks like it
>should produce flowers or baby plants. The plant is ~ 15" tall, and since
>I am about to go away for work until the end of this week, I would like to
>know the following:

>1) do these flower stalks grow very quickly? If I remember well I had in>
>the past an A. madagascarensis which shortly after purchase sprouted a
>flower stalk which grew several inches per day. I hope it will not grow
>this fast, since I would like to see it when I will be back home.

I currently have a E. horemannii in bloom.  It has sent up two
inflorescences.  They grow quickly at I'd est. an inch a day.  Also, the
first grew several inches out of the water.  I had to bend it some to keep
it away from the hot lights.

>2) if indeed flowers will be produced, is there anything I can try to have
>them fertilized? If seeds can be obtained, would the turned-glass-over-the
>- -bottom be a reasonable system to grow new plants? I wonder if, since I
>do not have really sunny windows, I might not have the proper conditions
>for emersed growth.

The flowers did not seem to form well and I don't think I have any seeds.
I'll be checking in a few weeks to see if there are any.  The first shoot
produced several daughter plants.  The second has not flowered yet.

Good luck,

Doug Skokna in still warm, humid Houston, TX