[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #212

Christopher Hunter wrote:

> 	My new aquarium has a high-intensity, 8 watt, compact bulb lighting system
> with an external, brick-style adaptor.  I am wondering if there is any
> reason why I cannot add a starter to this fixture (a starter type was
> listed on the bulb sleeve) as I would like to resume using the automatic
> timer that formerly provided a regular day/night cycle (my own cycle is far
> too eratic to guaratnee that things will get turned on and off at
> reasonable times by hand) for my plants  and fish.
> 	Advice would be greatly appreciated.

The starter is used when you have to hold the "on" switch for a second to
get the light to come on.  The brick adapter at the wall is simply the
ballast and has no bearing on this question.  If you have to hold down the
on switch for a second, you can replace this with a standard on/off switch
and a starter as described in the aquaria FAQ.

 Tom

 Work Phone: (206)-543-1075             Physical Mail: Box 352700
 Fax:        (206)-543-1543                            University of Washington
 Home Page : http://ce.washington.edu/~tep             Seattle, WA
                                                       98195