[Prev][Next][Index]

suface film and plant dips

Hey folks,
		I have a rack four 15g tanks which I use to experiment
with various Plants and substrate systems.  In one I have C. wenditii and
C. Baslli  (sp?) potted in terra cota (sp? again) trays with topsoil and
vermiculite ala Kelly.  I also have some Java fern and willow moss
attached to rocks and drifwood.  Inhabitants are 3 juvenille Kribensis,
and SAE and an oto and a cory.  I'm getting that translucent white film
on the top of the water. I've had it before and skimming the top over a
period of time seems to eradicate it.  I remember it being talked about
before but forget what was the collective wisdom.  As I recall some
thought it was a bacteria some thought it was due to an iron surplus.  I
change 20% of the water weekly and the tank is far from  over stocked.
Filtration is by tetra phase II sponge filter driven by aquaclear 201
powerhead.
Secondly, I'm familiar with 5% bleach solution to eradicate snail eggs
and  algae on new plants.  Isn't there also a procedure using potassium
permanganate (sp? yet again)??  Where does one get this stuff and how
much does one use?
			Thank you all for your help.

					Miles Morrissey
					Easthampton, MA  USA